Ingredients. Bob's Red Mill was on sale so I picked up these three today: brown rice flour, amaranth flour, and sweet white rice flour.
I made my own all purpose flour because I ran out and because I have an exorbitant amount of flours at this point (though, it never seems like enough). I used this recipe though I don't have potato starch (1/2 cup corn starch) or quinoa flour (replaced with more brown rice flour).
- 2 cups sorghum flour
- 2 cups brown rice flour (I use superfine brown rice flour)
- 1 1/2 cups potato starch, not potato flour
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup amaranth flour
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
Kept the dry and wet separate and folded them in. Whisked those fake eggs into submission.
A bit thick... lol. Don't over mix.
First one, perfect.
Second one, crap. Still edible just ugly.
Ugly waffles rectified with bacon. That'll save anything.
PUMPKIN PIE WAFFLES: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
(Easily Nut-Free and Egg-Free) (adjusted by Sweet Pea)
1 1/2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour
1 cup buckwheat flour
3 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum and gluten-free) hmmm?
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or more cinnamon, or nutmeg, or a pinch of ground cloves)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar (or coconut sugar)-didn't originally add this but is in important HOWEVER, that was the cause of the sticking to the griddle issue
Eggs-Egg-Free version: mix 3 tsp of Ener G Egg Replacer with 4 Tbsp water or non-dairy milk. Whisk until as foamy as possible. This is only the replacement equivalent to 2 eggs, but this is quite adequate.
1 cup plain non-dairy milk of choice
1/2 cup water
1 can organic pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
It asks for kefir (fermented milk) and yogurt. Obviously that's not happening. So I used the whole can of pumpkin and a bit of water.
6 Tablespoons Organic Canola oil, OR Earth Balance Vegan buttery sticks (melted), OR organic butter (melted) -The vegan butter was not enough, I would definitely use at least half canola oil and half butter.
1. In medium bowl, sift together all-purpose flour blend, buckwheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon and other spices of choice. Once blended, mix in the sugar.
2. In another bowl, whisk together egg, milk (dairy-free) , organic pumpkin, and oil (or melted Vegan butter, or dairy butter). Combine until smooth.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently fold until just incorporated (do not over-mix).
4. Let batter sit for five minutes while allowing your waffle iron to heat up. Make sure to brush the waffle grates with A LOT of oil. For a 7 inch round waffle iron, add about 2/3 to 1 cup of batter to the center and quickly spread. Close lid and cook according to iron directions.