Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Post-Camp Buckwheat Waffles

The fact that I didn't have to cook for two weeks has inspired me to actually do so now that I'm home. I had been fed up with cooking for myself, hadn't been home much, and had been paying the price. So tonight, at 10PM I decided to wip up some buckwheat waffles.





Turned out rad, wish I had followed the recipe a bit better and wish I could make a PB&J waffle BUT they were fantastic none the less. I used a recipe from a blog and made necessary adjustments. I liked not having to mix the flax meal (my fake egg) before hand and just using one bowl-an oddity with my cooking.

Gluten Free Dairy Free Egg Free Buckwheat Waffles

3/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill All Purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds (or flax meal)
2 tablespoons tapioca flour (cornstarch or arrowroot would be okay, too)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used hemp, soy or almond is probably better)
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (IMPORTANT! I left it out and they NEED it)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

In a large mixing bowl, mix together all flours, flax seeds, tapioca, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Create a well in the center and add the remaining ingredients. Use a fork to mix well for about a minute. Let the batter rest.

Warm up the waffle iron and go for it! It made less than 2 waffles but, my waffle iron is huge. Next time I will not forget the maple syrup, I may spread it out on the iron a lot so they are crunchy, and I will make whipped faux-cream for the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment